Thursday, May 20, 2010

Empire


This is what I am brewin for the new rules. I have always liked Empire but in the world of hard knights and dragons, they just werent good. GW is obviously doing many things to ensure the big block is best in the new edition and I like that. Means I can do empire.

This isnt the whole list just what I know I want for now. Needs more characters and is only about 1800/2250 pts.

BSB on foot banner of Stubborn (if magic items stay)

30 swordsmen
- 15 Halberdiers (break ranks)
- 12 handgunners (shooting in two ranks and maximizing that)

30 swordsmen
- 15 Halberdiers
- 12 handgunners

50 Spearmen (for the horde rule, so fighting in 4 ranks. BSB goes here)
- 15 halberdiers
- 12 handgunners

Cannon
Cannon
Cannon

Mortar
Mortar
Mortar

I am going to wait to see the rules before I even touch the helblaster or helstorm rockets. Problem is the rules for the helstorm are very well defined in the army book so I doubt a sweeping BRB change would affect it much. If it works like a mortar (which will work like a blast in 40k and no partials) I am definitely down.

Benefits that are likely to be given in 8th:
- Step up means as long as I have the models in the unit, every man that can fight, can. In 7th of course if you get charged and lose 9/10 of the guys that can fight you only fight with one.
- Fight in two ranks (3 for spears) just means more attacks and empire blocks can actually do damage back.
- Horde rule means the huge infantry block fights in 4 ranks.
- Need two ranks to break ranks on the flank (hence 15 man detachments)
- Shoot in 2 ranks
- Mortars are like in 40k. You put the template down and roll the scatter die. No partials. This multiplies a mortars effectiveness greatly. Not to mention the fact people are going to be taking more blocks anyway.
- Parry: Swordsmen get either a bonus to save or a 6+ ward in CC
- Armor works like 40k. There is a reason to take 5+ armor now.
- Missions like 40k. This is HUGE. Core needed to win games = best core is hard to kill stubborn core.