Friday, December 13, 2013

Flashback Friday - Thousand Sons

Hey everyone!

Welcome to Flashback Friday, where I revisit old armies I have painted from the past.  I have painted thousands of models and who knows how many huge armies on commission, and each one holds a special place in my heart.  A little sweat, a lot of love, and some collaboration with another person and who knows what you can create!  I enjoy looking back every once in a while at the photos and remembering the joys and struggles, the hard work and the pure enjoyment of making someone's vision a reality. But enough of that emotional stuff, let's get on with it! I miss you, baby!







The army I am reminiscing over this time around is a Thousand Sons army with the usual desert/Egyptian theme but with a few twists. There are several conversions for the non-marked units I was always really proud of.




First up is good old Ahriman himself!  He is fairly stock other than a jump pack so he could be used as a flying Prince rather than the actual special character.  The bird bits were added to give a bit of 360 degree balance to the look of the model.  He is an older model so has a bit of that flat look, and has a bit of a forward lean as well.


Second, a winged sorcerer.  A chaplain model was used as a base, then many bits were added.







The Thousand Sons units are heavily bit swapped to give a more active look.  Opinions can go either way since fluff wise they are more of a relentlessly marching ghost army rather than live marines, but I always prefer to put some character and action into all the models I do.




The Ushabti were perfect Terminators with one small conversion - an added monocle to count as a combi-melta.  They fit perfect on the 40mm Terminator bases and make a good counts-as.






The Land Raider transport for the Ushabti Terminators I wanted to be a visual center to the army, and I added the casket to the top to make it sort of a source of power for the army.  Instead of antennae technology, chaos of course just uses beacons of Tzeentch power.










The Rhinos are fairly standard, but the added sand and scorpions make them really stand out.  I went for a just out of the sand look, playing on the desert theme of the army.

Hope you enjoyed my walk down memory lane.  Keep up with my latest work on Facebook if you like!