Thursday, February 13, 2014

Adepticon 2014 Part 1 - All Your Chair...

Hey everybody,

It's that time of the year again, time for my sixth Adepticon! I am more excited than ever before, as I am doing two armies this year rather than one.  One for 40k and one for Fantasy. So let's get started on the basics.

Let's start with the 40k army.  One of the things I do when making these armies is try and find interesting objects to turn into a display.  I had an idea to use an egg chair when watching ALIEN and having seen one of these earlier in the week on a pawn sort of show.  I looked to ebay and found this (these are the actual Ebay auction images). 

This one is very unique because it is a prototype from when they were designing the chair in the 60s.  As a chair it's not so great, there is no padding, and there is a big mold line around the center.  But that extra bit of character and backstory was perfect to me.  

I bought the egg, and it was shipped via freight to a local Yellow Cab of all places.  I got a phone call from a very confused cab driver.  We picked it up in my Dad's van and brought it back to their house.

My mom sits in the chair.  And she's not THAT small!  It's a huge chair.

Obviously being inspired by Giger and ALIEN, I want to do something similar in design to the egg.  This is a rough sketch I did just to map out something in my head.

I drew a bit on the raw plastic, to get a better idea.

The Space Jockey is the primary inspiration for the chair, although all of Giger's work is pretty inspirational.  I want to copy the biomechanoid lines, and the fossilized flesh tone of the Engineer.  One of the things that makes Giger stuff so creepy, is in terms of lines it is very mechanical, but in color it is exremely organic and sickly.

The first thing I did was wrap the egg twice over in fiberglass.  Fiberglass is a woven mesh of glass fibers that is then coated in resin to create a hard shell.  A HUGE problem with the egg as-is, is it is extremely wobbly.  I am afraid if I did not do the fiberglass, in transport it would shake all the putty off.

Once the resin cured, I cut away access, drug it to the backyard and washed it out.  I had to use a bucket because my hoses were frozen!

Once dried, I atached piping to the lip.  This took about 2 hours, as the cut down the side of the pipe never seemed to be enough.  I didn't even have to glue it on, considering it took a hammer and chisel to get on and my plans for putty later will secure it.

That's it for this time around!  I will be taking some time to work on the throne next, so stay tuned!